Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Count on Safeway

You can count on Safeway for foods that have all the latest additives and chemicals. An ad for "Fresh Baked Apple Pies" on sale caught my eye. When I buy the only apple pie left on the shelf, there's a rustic-looking label that says in big letters, "No Sugar Added." Well, that's ok, sounds fine.

I get home, and the pie has this odd sweet taste to it, so I check the fine print on the label, you know, the part you can barely read because it's so small ? Aspartame. Yuck. Thanks Safeway. I'm not diabetic, and I'd prefer plain sugar to its chemical substitute. I should have read the label more carefully. I guess the pies just don't sell as well when you put ASPARTAME in big letters instead of the clever "no sugar added," or how about "CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS?"

1 Comments:

At 11:34 PM, Blogger James Lamb said...

Yep, I now live in a neighborhood with a Safeway ! They don't have those in the Tenderloin. Nor organic food stores, like the one up the street that I visit more often than Safeway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home