Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Genius of AT&T

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

Thank you for contacting AT&T Internet Services, my name is Aeon Willows. One moment while I review your information.

Aeon Willows: Hello there James Lamb !

James Lamb: Hello Aeon Willows. Last month I cancelled my service via phone. I asked them if I needed to do something separate for DSL / internet and they said no. Yet I get a bill for internet services. WHY?

Aeon Willows: I see.

Aeon Willows: AS I understand it, you are asking as to why your request for a service cancellation has not been approved and processed. Am I right?

James Lamb: No. I am asking you why I was told the cancellation was good for both phone and internet, and yet it wasn't.

Aeon Willows: I see.

James Lamb: I am asking you for a credit of the internet fees, and I am also asking you to cancel the service. I am asking you for some proof that this will be done and I will not receive another bill for service that was cancelled.

Aeon Willows: Mr. Lamb, you have reached the High Speed Internet Technical Support group. For assistance with your billing question we have help available at 1-877-722-3755 between 8am to 6pm Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5pm on Saturday.

Aeon Willows: Will there be anything that I can assist you with today?

James Lamb: Yes, this is exactly the problem You call one place, they say no problem, taken care of. You try somewhere else, and they say, "oh, that's another department."

James Lamb: Yes, you can assist me by getting a job with a company that is capable of communicating within departments to achieve customer satisfaction.

James Lamb: You are wasting your valuable talent working for a company that only frustrates people who are paying for service.

Aeon Willows: Okay, I really do apologize for this hassle.

James Lamb: It's not your fault. Will you try to get a job with a company that doesn't do this to its customers?

Aeon Willows: I really do understand where you are coming from.
Aeon Willows: It must be really frustrating being charged for something that you have not availed.

James Lamb: So what are your objectives for improving your own life and those of your customers?

Aeon Willows: Mr. Lamb, I'm pretty sure, this is just a discrepancy between your request and the records.
Aeon Willows: I really do hope that you can call the billing department to clarify the case that we have.

James Lamb: Yes, but your company is notorious for this. Of course, I'm probably wrong here, because you are probably just an independent contractor who doesn't directly work for AT&T. That's the problem -- the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

Aeon Willows: I really do apologize for this, I know that this is really frustrating. And believe it or not, I would really like to do more at my end to help you with this.
Aeon Willows: However, only you can make that call to the billing department, so that the issue can be settled.

James Lamb: I have heard there are countries where bureaucracy is horrendous and people's daily lives are spent trying to track down the appropriate department... waiting in lines and waiting on hold and being sent to another department. Paying bribes, and still getting nothing accomplished. This is no way to run a company or a country.

Aeon Willows: Yes, I definitely agree.

James Lamb: You have no way to contact this department directly?

Aeon Willows: I can feel how frustrated you are about this.

James Lamb: Can you contact the department for me?

Aeon Willows: I'll be sending a form where you can express your opinions regarding AT&T ensuring that AT&T will hear it from you.
The agent is sending you to http://helpme.att.net/productfeedback.php.

James Lamb: Can I receive a copy of this discussion?

1 Comments:

At 1:00 AM, Blogger James Lamb said...

Ah, there are still lights on at the FCC. They are investigating my complaint, in light of the fact that AT&T has had numerous prior offenses and has been fined on previous occasions lack of responsible corporate behavior.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home