Saturday, July 19, 2008

NOLA hurricane

Saw "When the Levees Broke." OK, first, I was in N.O. back in 1993. Just a regular summer thundershower puts 2 feet of water in some parts of the city until the pumps can remove it. A REGULAR summer shower. Everybody knew that if the pumps failed, guess what? That's even if no levees fail. So to pretend that you don't know the city's going to be under water, or to not be smart enough to see that -- well, that's like living in San Francisco, and pretending a big earthquake isn't going to hit.

Now, of course, the government screwed up, and the insurance companies screwed people, and the Army Corps of Engineers didn't build the levees strong enough. BUT, you gotta know that all those things are bound to happen in a disaster (dang, I gotta get my earthquake kit more organized!).

Great documentary - I shed a few tears, but maybe just one too many people not willing to take personal responsibility for their own life and safety. (I say, as I live on landfill in earthquake country).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home